Monday, October 16, 2006

For God So Loved Jody...


07/23/42 - 10/03/06

I was working on the above collage about my mom and her proclamations of a brief affair with Warren Beatty. She died the next morning.

There was also the tale of an old, crinkled photo of my mom sitting on Joe Namath's lap. This photo, and the folklore backing it, had apparently sent my father into a doused frenzy - the course of which compelled him to take said photo out into a snow drift one winter's night, and piss on it.

I have always enjoyed my mom's NYC yarns..."Richard Pryor was never funny.... Well, Fire Island was just something else...I was NEVER a hippie...Woody Allen got in bed with my friend Lynn, JUST after she had given birth...I mean, really, he was ALWAYS disgusting....I just thought it was cute to wear the bunny suit... I mean, I was a beatnik! I never realized, until one night..."

She lived much more of her life outside of this city. I really thought she would live much more of her life, for much longer.

There are no words to summarize such a force.

Or loss.

There was never a more emotionally courageous soul. She was, and I think - always will be - much, much larger than life.