Sunday, September 17, 2006

Maximilien François Marie Isidore de Robespierre...


invited me over last night.

It was an okay enough time.

It was no SPLISH SPLASHING reel, of a good time. But, I tried not to pout.

He warmed me up, after he said something absolutely charming:

"The warmth of zeal is not perhaps the most dangerous rock that we have to avoid; but rather that languour which ease produces and a distrust of our own courage."

So - I agreed to watch this movie about him...he'd been pestering me about it for weeks.

The Black Book, AKA Reign of Terror (1949)

"This film depicts the oppression and turmoil of Revolutionary France under the rule of Maximilian Robespierre and the Committee for Public Safety in 1794. It is filmed in film noir style by Anthony Mann and stars Richard Basehart, Robert Cummings and Arlene Dahl."


Well. My opinion of Maximilien Francois Marie Isidore "Fluffy" de Robespierre has been on shakey ground for the past few years. But after last night...

I just don't think I can "pretend" anymore.

I told him I wouldn't be coming over again, some words were had, and...Well. In the immortal voice of Buckeey: "You 'touch me' you get 'touched' !"

That's really all I can say about it, for now.