Saturday, February 02, 2008

Repulsion Attraction



A funny thing happened when I first saw this. A couple of funny things have happened since. With regard to this particular performance by Les Savy Fav on Conan O'Brian - my very NYC survival skills were completely thrown on their head and stomped, only to be gator-spun into nothing short of a chrysalis from which my tired heart would unknowingly burst through, newborn.

My eyes rejected what I saw. I was put into a state. I was furious in a way that was unseemly and unexpected. Yet, in no way inappropriate. This was the very, very WORST performance I HAVE EVER SEEN in my life. This was a bloated splooge of self love and I wanted to hurl. This red-legged devil-king of all that is megalomaniacal threw the very last strands of my tolerance into the disposal as I was desperately trying to find protection in a Barbie's sneaker. Concepcion could never have heard my screams.

Down I went.

I refuse to earmark all of the particularities of this performance. In a land where one can say exactly what one means and STILL be misunderstood, I abandon the right to knock each one of the violations.

Call this a performance, call this a fat joke, call this an example of, despite previous assumption, there really not being room enough for everyone's dreams and/or whims.

I hope I never see anything like it again.

I truly would rather lick gravel for a year.

However, sweet reader, I absolutely cannot deny the fact that buried underneath the layers of cape, tulip fold t-shirt tutu, puffed up flatulent quasi-anger, coin slot, eagle hat, cat-crawl crap...

lies a GREAT SONG!

I'm hooked.

I'm going to go and download it off iTunes right now.